Nigeria’s Mikel Obi alongside retired players Kanu Nwankwo and Jay Jay Okocha are among the top 10 highest earning African players of all time according to a study conducted & published by French publication, Footendirect.With a cumulative take-home of $50 million, John Mikel Obi is now the best paid among the current generation of Nigerian players. While Samuel Eto’o is on the lead with 202 millions de dollars.
According to Footendirect, Mikel Obi who earns about £75,000 per week at Chelsea has a total earnings estimate of $50m while Kanu Nwankwo and Jay Jay Okocha who have since retired made $100m and $150m respectively from their career.
Here is the full list according to earning
1. Samuel Eto’o/Antalyaspor : 202 millions de dollars
2. Yaya Touré/Manchester City : 170 millions de dollars
3. Didier Drogba/Montreal : 155 millions de dollars
4. Jay-Jay Okocha : 150 millions de dollars
5. Nwankwo Kanu : 100 millions de dollars
6. Michaël Essien/Panathinaïkos : 70 millions de dollars
7. Emmanuel Adebayor/Libre : 57 millions de dollars
8. Obi Mikel/Chelsea : 50 millions de dollars
9. Kolo Touré/Liverpool : 43 millions de dollars
10. Sulley Muntari/Al-Ittihad : 40 millions de dollars