Reading Time: 5 minutes
Editors Thought: If My Goals Means my happiness, Is It Worth all the stress?
Life they say is full of choices, I won’t be surprise to know that majority of people choose happiness over everything else. Yes i do too. but then happiness its also a journey and not a destination. So if you’re working towards a goal, a path or just leaving life, it is advisable to leave within your means in other to be happy.
Life is too short to dwell on things that don’t make us happy. I feel like in the world of today, we easily get angry, worried and stress out. We worry about what people will say about us, what people think and how we can’t get to where we want to be right away. We leave to impress others and not ourselves, in otherwords causing anxiety, depression, unhappiness to our lives. We all as individuals fight our daily, if not yearly demons to find happiness.
There are so many causes of unhappiness depending on our individual life style. However, I’ve picked 6 most common Causes of Unhappiness to analyse.
6 Most Common Causes Of
1. Relationship: This applies to our love life and relationship with friends and family. The quality of our relationship to loved ones correlate directly with our overall sense of worth and happiness. Some times in midst of life’s chaos, we forget to do little things such as socialise, get in-touch with family, loved ones etc which makes us part of something greater than ourselves. In life, we need a certain amount of meaningful contacts with people around us to feel fully alive belive it or not.
2. Worklife: If not happy at work place, most times send people to a dark corner or wall. They say if you don’t like the job you do, change it, but then this is easier said than done mostly in this day and age where it’s very difficult to get a job. Most people within a job they don’t like always look forward to their free time when they get to do their own thing, from working on a business idea, hobbies etc. Not being happy at work can be because of some of these issues; not getting along with colleagues, not performing as expected, earning less than you work and the list goes on. If it’s something you can fix, swallow you pride and fix it.
3. Financial difficulty: The only way to get out of debt is to understand why you’re in debt in the first place. I can easily say make plans on how to pay it off and stick to it, but its obviously easier said than done yet again. Before we accumulate any depts, we have a mental calculations of how to pay it off most of the time, try and keep your words, unless you’re a spendthrift. live a comfortable life, not a wasteful one. Do not spend to impress others. Do not live life trying to fool yourself into thinking wealth is measured in material objects. Manage your money wisely so your money does not manage you. Always live well below your means by finding alternatives . Try to stay out of dept as much as you can.
4. Procrastination: Do you put off doing things that would bring you closer to your desired goals? “I know I do at times and for me, this is the number one issue“, I however find my self doing the less important tasks first, thus wearing myself out and when done, wouldn’t have the energy to do the more important task. Notting is so stressful and draining as the presence of an unfinished project or task, mostly when we have an inevitable deadline.
5. Focusing on negatives: You can’t control everything that happens to you, but you can control how you react to things. Fear and pride is one big cause of negativity, to conquer them is to be less negative. Do you know that everyone’s life has positive and negative aspects and whether you’re happy or not depends greatly on which aspects you focus on? The more we try and look on the bright side of things, the less we focus on the negative side.
6. All work and no play: Fun is way underrated. With all of our responsibilities, fun seems like an indulgence. It shouldn’t be. It should be a requirement. Don’t feel guilty when (Mostly) you’ve finish your task and you deserve a reward. Go on and do things that make you happy. All work no play makes Jack a dull boy after all. Even as an entrepreneur who can’t afford to relax, try and find a little time to unwind yourself because if anything should happen to you…, well you can finish the saying yourself.
So there you have it. of course there are other trivial causes such as, feeling out of shape, feeling unwell, obsession with the past, comparing oneself to others, low self-esteem, environment we leave or find ourselves in, and the list goes on.
I advice we find if not, little things that makes us happy to balance our hectic lifestyle. There is always a way if you really look, and if you can make time for all your projects, then you can obviously make time for yourself. Life is too short to dwell in a place that doesn’t make us happy. Find what makes you happy and cultivate it today!
Obviously these are my opinion. What are yours?
Written by: Noellin Imoh-Griffiths