Sunday, February 5, 2023
HomeEventsSuper Eagles’ Second Friendly Cancelled Because Burkina Faso Players failed to Secure...

Super Eagles’ Second Friendly Cancelled Because Burkina Faso Players failed to Secure Visas to London!

Burkina Faso vs Nigeria Supper Eagles Football match Cancelled

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) on Saturday said Super Eagles’ second international friendly, against Burkina Faso in London tomorrow Monday, March 27th has been cancelled.

Ademola Olajire, NFF’s Director of Media and Communications, said in a statement that this was because seven players in the Burkinabe contingent failed to secure entry visas into the UK.

He said the other players in the Burkinabe contingent were however able to enter the UK, but it was not enough for the match not to be called off.

Olajire quoted Chris Green, Chairman of the NFF Technical and Development Committee, as expressing the Federation’s regrets about the development.

“The second friendly match we had scheduled for the Super Eagles as part of preparations for the remaining matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying series and the beginning of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualification race will no longer take place on Monday.

The match in question is called off due to no fault of either the organisers or the NFF, but is regrettable,’’ he was quoted as saying.

Green was however also quoted as saying the NFF would announce further plans for the Super Eagles’ preparation for the two qualifying campaigns in due course.

Olajire had, in the statement, explained that there was no British High Commission in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso’s capital.

“Officials of the Federation Burkinabe de Football (FBF) had been shuttling between Accra in Ghana and Ouagadougou for visa processing.

FBF sources said the Embassy in Accra told them last week to proceed to Morocco (where the Etalons played against the Atlas Lions on Friday) and that the visas would be issued there.

However, the applications were still pending at the British Embassy in Morocco as at close of work on Friday, the last working day before Monday, the match day in London.

FBF on Friday by 7PM UK time called the match organisers to say some of their players and officials were unable to secure entry visas into the UK and therefore would not be able to honour the match,” he said.

The NFF spokesman said the Federation’s President, Amaju Pinnick, was unhappy with the development.

“But Pinnick stated that the objectives of satisfying the technical team’s desire of squaring up against tough, physical African opposition and fostering team bonding and organisation were achieved.’’

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments

Hon Phillips Olubunmi Emmanuel councillor representing the good people of ward f1 surulere local government legislative council Nigeria on 22yrs Old Young Nigerian becomes youngest Councillor in the UK
Elizabeth umoru, business name ELIXIR'S EMPORIUM on Meet Lola Ibekwe CEO Libeks Beauty Consultants!
rawlings chenuka on
Sarah Emefa Adjei on
Doris s akpan on
Silver on
W Lloyd on
David on
Princess Toyin Onagoruwa on
emmanuel d hassan on
janet on
Segun on
L O on
Ronke on
Eric London on
Ola Ayeni on
aloys louis bodi on Diva Ambassador finalists 2015!
Ade on
Mendi on
rose umana on
Linda on
Hileni on
Bishop Ekong on
Adebimpe Temitope B on
Joshua Agboola on
Ayo Fash on
Onwa on
Emma on
Ayaba on
Roli maku on
DZhimel on
lil tee on
Noel on
Ademola Neil on
hrh on
maquin ebeama on
bella obi on LABO MOVIE HIT AGAIN!
Ayo Oyebade on OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE!
Yisa Olufemi Sanni on LABO! “LIFE IS A JOURNEY”. MOVIE