Charly Boy calls off #ResumeOrResign Sit Out, The Presidency Reacts to the protests!

0
661

Musician, Charles Oputa, aka Charly Boy, on Wednesday, August 16th, announced a suspension of his participation in the #ResumeOrResign protest after he and members of his group were assaulted at Wuse market in Abuja, Nigeria.

The Presidency reached out via his media spokes person, Mr Adesina and reacted to the protests that rocked Wuse market in Abuja describing it as ‘ethnicised’ and selfish. He also criticised the #ResumeOrResign group led by Charles boy.

The protesters demand the immediate resumption of President Muhammadu Buhari to office or his resignation ‘ResumeOrResign’.

‘Even though our members had received death threats, we are not deterred’. He said during a speech.

“We are not deterred by the intimidation and harassment by the sponsored thugs and we cannot be cowed by a few group of people. What government want to do is to ensure that we have a clash with the hired crowd and we will not allow that to happen’. He added.

Early Tuesday, members of the #ResumeOrResign, led by Charly Boy, were attacked at the popular Wuse Market in Abuja by supporters of the ailing president. The incident later resulted in the breakout of an inter-tribal clash in the market, which caused chaos and forced the police to close the market.

Although Charly Boy escaped, his car was damaged. A man who was injured was rushed to the hospital by operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC.

The protesters had begun a campaign on Monday last week, demanding that President Muhammadu Buhari who is on a medical vacation in London to resumes or resigns as disclosure of his illness is not made known to the country and the Nation doesn’t know how long he still plans to be away and what exactly is wrong with him. The president had been in office for 2 years and had been ill for almost a year.

Mr. Adesina, the Presidents media spokes man while addressing the protesters on behalf of the presidency, condemned the Wuse market protests.

When quizzed on why Mr. Oputa was attacked on Tuesday, he said what happened was an attempt to ‘ethnicise the protest.’

“We are not for ethnic cleavages, we are for one Nigeria. Anybody that attempted to ethnicise protests failed. Because everyone has a right to protest and ethnicity is not something that should be introduced to protest.”

“Taking a protest to the market in the first place was wrong, so whoever took the protest to the market place was the one that attempted to make it get out of hand,” he added.

Mr. Adesina added that the presidency noticed that “some people have made efforts to create ethnic cleavages in the country but that what the people from the Niger Delta region did today has reinforced faith that Nigeria will remain one.”

He said the message of his audience would be conveyed to Mr. Buhari.

 AfricanGlitz.com | Rebranding & Celebrating Africa! 
FOLLOW US 
Twitter: @African_Glitz 
Facebook: @AfricanGlitz 
Instagram: @AfricanGlitz

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.