The year 2019 has no doubt been an eventful year in the Nigerian entertainment industry. Apart from the visible impact made by some celebrities, others flooded the headlines for all the wrong reasons, keeping us on our feet weeks after weeks, with new and shocking revelations.
11. Angela Okorie: When you think you heard all the most shocking and ridiculous stories this year, Nollywood actress turned singer, Angela Okorie shocked us all early December 2019 after news broke that she got attack by arm robbers. She later came online covered in blood and claimed that she was attacked by assassins who shoot at her car for 30 minutes non-stop. She also shared pictures of 12 bullets allegedly removed from her battered face. The actress released a new song titled E de Pain, which she used as a coping mechanism after the attack.
10. Etinosa: Nollywood actress and social media comedian, Etinosa Idemudia, became more famous for her controversies rather than her acting talent. Around March, the 29-year-old actress appeared nude on MC Galaxy’s Instagram live video which sparked lots of debates against her on social and had people talking for weeks. It’ seems like the actress, is only just starting, because, in early December 2019, she also stirred outrage on social media over her proclaimed intention to use a Quran as an ashtray as she had earlier done with a Bible. The controversial actress had gone live on Instagram and was seen smoking and blowing off the ashes on a Bible, while she also labelled a particular verse of the holy book ‘a scam’. This also comes after the actress travelled to Dubai during One Africa Music Fest 2019, She shared some pictures of her posing on top of a car claiming that a fan gave her the brand new car as a gift. She explained the Mercedes Benz, was given to her by a fan who slid into her DMs some time ago. In a recent interview Etinosa, who was once married, claimed her husband abused her several times during the marriage. Having survived that, she said her current boyfriend is ten years younger than her.
9. Toyin Lawani: Famous Nigerian fashion entrepreneur, Toyin Lawani, made headlines this year on several occasions. Many of her fans won’t forget in a hurry the series of raunchy pictures she posted on her Instagram page, especially her explicit picture with another daring Nigerian socialite, Pretty Mike. The mother of two also generated some buzz when she claimed that she usually demands N2m before going on dates.
8. Tekno: Singer, Tekno, caused a stir back in August while conveying a bevvy of semi-nude ladies in a transparent van on a Lagos road. A video of the girls evoked mixed feelings among Nigerians, which later led to the Police State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department questioning the artiste. After the incident, Tekno tendered an apology to those who might have been offended by the act on Instagram. Apart from that, he is currently releasing good music.
7. Tiwa Savage and Wizkid: As we know, Tiwa Savage and Wizkid are heavyweights in the Nigerian music industry, fans however these days, are more concerned about their speculated romantic relationship the often display during live performances. Tiwa Savage and Wizkid had fuelled the speculations several times with their raunchy acts together. Wizkid had on several occasions, grabbed and grinding on Tiwa’s peach on stage. The singers also shared a kiss during a live performance in Paris (France) back in October. Tiwa, who is 39 years of having, has attempted to address the issue on a few interviews. She still claims they’ve not involved romantically but only friends with benefit. Wizkid, on the other hand, has never addressed the romance.
6. Burna Boy: As we know, Burna Boy has become one of the most sought after Nigerian artistes of 2019. He has also been involved in some controversies in 2019. In March 2019, the singer had tackled the organisers of the Coachella Valley and Arts Music Festival 2019, California (USA), over the small size of his name on the promotional poster of the event which took place in April of the same year and sparked mixed feelings across the globe. During his show in Atlanta (USA) some months back, the singer called out a fan for not dancing and refunded their money while on stage. Also, in the wake of the xenophobic attacks, the ‘Ye’ singer had vowed never to step foot in South Africa ‘until the South African government wakes the f*** up and performs a miracle’. He made the remark, the singer was billed to return for a show in South Africa, and he claimed the proceeds would be donated to victims of xenophobic attacks. However, after an uproar from South Africans, who demanded an apology from the singer, the event was eventually cancelled.
5. Simply Tacha: At the beginning of 2019, Natacha Akide, aka Tacha, aka Port Harcourt first daughter was nothing more than the young lady known for getting a tattoo of Davido’s famous logo, OBO, between her boobies.