After days of #EndSARS demonstrations, authorities on Sunday announced the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
This was followed on Tuesday with the formation and unveiling of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) by the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammad Adamu to replace the disbanded SARS agency.
However, the development fell short of expectations for protesters, who have since pledged to continue fighting for a complete overhaul of the security apparatus.
On Wednesday, October 14, 2020, the Nigeria Police Force through its Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba, released a list of important facts to note about the newly created SWAT Team, along with a detailed description of its mandate and what it is restricted to.
Check on it below:
The police note that:
- No personnel of the defunct SARS will be selected to be part of the Tactical team
- Operations of the new Tactical team will be strictly intelligent-driven
- Members of the new Tactical team will by no means embark on routine patrols
- Members of the new Tactical team are barred from indiscriminate and unlawful
search of phones, laptops, and other smart devices.
- Operatives of the new Tactical team must be free of any pending disciplinary matter especially those touching on misuse of firearms and abuse of human rights.
The new team will be tasked with:
- Response to robbery attacks
- Response to scenes of weapon-related crimes
- Rescue operation
- Special operation involving high profile criminals
Photo Credit: NPF